St Nicholas’ Chapel – the Grand Re-opening!
St Nicholas’ Chapel, Kings Lynn is hosting a ‘Grand Re-opening’ this week following an exciting £2.7m regeneration project. As the lead design and interpretation team, Ugly Studios will be there showcasing a glimpse of our upcoming exhibition due in October.
The Chapel, currently in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, is the largest chapel-of-ease in the country and has a rich history dating back to its Norman foundations. After a long period buried under scaffolding, this project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, has restored the Chapel as a cultural venue for events, concerts, fairs and exhibitions, including permanent interpretive displays by Ugly Studios.
The ‘Grand Re-opening’ will be followed by a series of special events as part of Heritage Open Days, facilitated by the Friends of St Nicholas’ Chapel and the CCT. This will include:
• A guided tour of the Chapel with an expert guide
• Re-enacting a medieval crime and punishment trial in the Chapel’s Consistory Court
• A tour of Kings Lynn provided by the North End Guides
• A free concert with musical groups and soloists
• Market stalls, storytelling, an art exhibition and food and drink throughout the day
The Chapel will reopen its doors permanently to the public on Saturday 12 September.